Wednesday, February 22, 2012

soon-to-be S

Well, I said things could and would be changing! But turns out, not in the way I figured they would.

Chico has been incredibly warm this winter - evidenced by our weekly hikes in Bidwell with the pups. After our quick little Christmas jaunt to the Bay Area, we were soon back up here, hiking (sweating) in the 60-something° weather and letting the dogs frolic in Horseshoe Lake.

We traveled back to the Bay Area for New Year's to celebrate our 5 year anniversary with a Raider game (thanks Dennis!). We stayed with Kevin's mom, grandma, aunt and her family and rang in the New Year in San Leandro - an adventure in itself. 

Chloe's first New Year!

Pups' first New Year!

We met up with Daniel, Ryan and Nicole to tailgate and headed into my first NFL game! It was exhausting but so much fun. I got to see Sea-bas in action (Polish pride) and cheer my butt off  (they lost). Happy 5th Year together, Babe!




So we headed back up here and as Kevin transitioned from being a full-time construction management student to looking for full-time work in construction, we continued our happy, simple, little life.

Not going to lie - some things were great about having a stay-at-home boyfriend. I came home from work to clean dishes, vacuumed carpets, clean laundry, and so on. But Kev likes to feel productive, so we worked on sending out resumes and applying for jobs pretty much anywhere.  As everyone close to us knows, we love it here and I love the people that I work for, and while we were of course willing to move if it meant a good job, we would have loved to find something here.

Well Kevin had an interview with a company in San Leandro a few weeks ago. That weekend I drove home early on Saturday morning to have a Spa Day with my mom and 3 sister-in-laws (our Christmas gifts). We had a wonderful day at the Livermore Spa, preceded by a very classy brunch at Ihop, where we indulged in pedicures and massages. 

As this was my first professional massage, I had no idea that my hair would feel like a jar of olive oil afterwards. So after a quick shower, myself, and some of the fam went to Forno Veccio in Pleasanton for a wonderful dinner. We topped off the night with some Trivia Pursuit and yummy wine.

I left bright and early the next morning to come back to Chico. The drive to and from Chico to Pleasanton is so engrained in our minds now - its almost relaxing. Although tele-porting would still be easier. Well anyways, Kev and I planned to head to Bidwell on that Sunday afternoon to let the dogs burn off some energy and enjoy the beautiful day that it was. 

We drove to the park with the three dogs in tow (we were fostering Tru from OTCHS to give him a break from the shelter) and joined many other families in Upper Park - it was seriously a gorgeous day. As the dogs ran around Horseshoe Lake, getting muddy and wet and sandy, I looked at Kevin in total contentment and felt incredible lucky to be there, at that moment, with the person I love and dogs that I can't imagine life without. I was also feeling somewhat tired, from driving so much in the last 24 hours, and was not up for the longer hike up one of the trails that we normally take. So we were walking around the lake, chasing after Tru as he went to go meet all the other dogs, and throwing sticks for B&L to fetch from the water. 

Next thing I know, I am watching the dogs run around, and Kev says "Hey Babe" to get me to turn around. I turn around, and there he is, down on one knee holding the most beautiful ring, and asks me to marry him with the biggest smile on his face. 

OMG. I don't even think I said 'yes' right away. I was in such complete shock that all I could do was drop my jaw and say "oh my God." As my friends know, I have been dreaming of that moment for so long. I have known for quite a while (years) that Kevin is 'the one.' And here it was finally, and I just couldn't believe he was actually proposing! The tears started flowing, and he was down, in the mud, on one knee still-and we shared that moment that is so indescribable. It could not have been more perfect. I honestly did not have a care in the world-we were in one of our favorite places, I had no idea where the dogs were, or who was watching, or what we would do next-but I said 'YES' and we just relished that moment for as long as we could.

January 29th, 2012

Kev's dirty/mud knee

Our first engagement card, from G&G Landucci

 Writing this now, it has been almost a month since we got engaged and I still can't believe it. We wrangled up the pups and the phone calls began. I called my mom first, who was also quite shocked (it has been over five years..), and we called our entire families and called/texted our closest friends. On the car ride home from Bidwell, Kev told me all about how he had talked to his dad and mine in the last couple of weeks, and my Dad gave him the go-ahead to pop the question. We decided to head to go out to dinner at the Sierra Nevada Brewery, but first things first, I needed a manicure!!! DUH.

Pretty, huh? I think so. Anyways, this past month has just been nothing short of wonderful. We are relishing our excitement about being engaged and truly blessed by the kind words we have received from our families, especially our grandparents. Although we both come from families of divorce, we have been lucky enough to witness the second marriages of our parents and the marriages of our grandparents, who have all celebrated 50 (and more) years. We look forward to as many years together as God gives us.

Plus, there are so many more changes to share! More to come..


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...